The half-tubular arch of the Quonset hut is immediately recognizable for its elegant simplicity and as a monument to America’s quick thinking in times of crisis. Originally designed for the military during World War II, the Quonset is a very useful design. If you need a quick, inexpensive building that will stand up to extremes of weather and the environment, here’s how you can build a Quonset hut:
Prime and paint the exterior of your new Quonset to ensure years of maintenance free use from your affordable all weather building.
Quonset huts were originally designed as inexpensive mass-produced structures for use on military bases. Today they’re used as farm buildings, for RV storage, small businesses and even homes. A classic Quonset is built from a metal skin attached to metal arches. The interior can be customized for a multitude of uses. Design options like skylights and windows have expanded the function of modern huts, and Quonset hut kits come with everything you need to erect you
The options are endless.
Living Space– Find that perfect parcel of land, lay down a concrete slab and erect your new Quonset home in a matter of days. Add dividers, a loft, balconies, windows, skylights – in a few weeks you’re living in the home of your dreams at a price that will honestly amaze you.
– Maybe you need a separate office for your home-based business. No problem with the technology that goes into today’s pre-engineered metal Quonset buildings.
Or maybe you need a retreat – a place to enjoy your hobby, from woodworking to ping-pong. A small Quonset building is your space to enjoy any way you see fit.
– Is your garage bursting at the seams? The attic stacked to the rafters? The basement a maze of boxes? Eliminate the clutter and get organized with a Quonset building to store your house overflow neatly and safely.
– Ideal for weekend warriors who take pride in their lawns and gardens. A small storage Quonset kit building keeps your mower and gardening gear out of the elements. You can even add a potting shed to get a head start on the growing season each year.
– Crowded classrooms cut down on learning and traditional building methods add to the community tax burden. Add classroom space, new office space or other utility areas at one-third the cost of traditional stick-built space…and look good doing it.
– Quonset buildings are the ideal solution for growing businesses on a budget or a tight schedule. Double and even triple warehouse space at a price that makes your accountant smile. Your materials are close by, they’re secure and you still have operating capital to expand your customer base without expanding a limited budget. High vertical wall clearance provides more room for more goods and raw materials so you keep the business running smoothly and inventory safe and dry in any weather conditions.
– Quonset storage buildings can handle anything: harvesters, cars, boats, huge RVs, trailers, heavy equipment and even airplanes and jets. Door sizes are adapted to fit your parking needs, making access to your vehicles as easy as walking out the back door.
– Keep your livestock dry and your crops safe from harm any time of year. Agri-business discovered pre-manufactured metal building systems years ago and, today, farm owners use them to store everything from cows to combines.
The original design of the Quonset hut was based on the Nissen Hut developed by the British during WW1 (learn more about the history of the quonset hut). They are now common worldwide as inexpensive, sturdy solutions for all sorts of uses. Quonset hut manufacturers now provide three separate options depending on the needs of the consumer as well as structural strength requirements and space considerations.